Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tuesdays with Dories - Honey Peach Ice Cream and Parisian Apple Tarts


I have never made ice cream before and actually have never thought about making it. When i saw this on the rotation for June i already knew i wasn't going to make it. Far too complicated and would probably turn out bad anyway.
The only thing that changed my mind was reading Marthe's note on the P&Qs. Marthe gave a link that explained how to make ice cream without an ice cream maker. I was inspired!

Fresh peaches were far too expensive, $10 for 3 peaches! Canned peaches would have to do. The only change i made to the recipe was to puree all the peaches. Everything seemed to go well until i put the custard in the freezer. Everytime i took it out to churn, it was still soft and wasn't freezing. Then i realised that i was supposed to keep the custard uncovered during the churning process. Doh! Ok, no big issue and was easily sorted.

I had some friends over for tea and served the the tarts and ice cream. They loved the tarts but the ice cream was so-so. The texture was good but i'm not sold on the flavour. Maybe i'll try pear and honey next time.

Thanks to Tommi of Brown Interior for choosing this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tuesday with Dorie - Parisian Apple Tarts



When i was a poor student in London, some time ago i might add, i never had much in the fridge. One day all i had was some puff pastry, severely bruised apples, sugar, cinnamon and butter. This weeks challenge is almost exactly what i made. It was so delicious i have made it numerous times since, and using other fruits too. So i hope you'll forgive me for making it the way i always do, using raw sugar and including cinnamon. Its just not the same without it.

Great choice Jessica! Please visit her blog My Baking Heart



7 comments:

Leslie said...

Those tarts look spectacular, and I think adding cinnamon is an inspired change! Sorry your ice cream wasn't as good as it could have been, but pear and honey sounds wonderful!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Thanks so much for baking with me last week! I added cinnamon, too, and it was delicious - your tartlets are beautiful! :)

Sara said...

I used apricots in my ice cream and really enjoyed the flavor. Your tarts look wonderful, I also added cinnamon to mine - how could you not!

Anonymous said...

Your ice cream and tarts look amazing. I have to go back and make the tarts.

Unknown said...

Both your ice cream and your tarts look amazing! Sorry you didn't love the ice cream but at least you got to try making ice cream. Now you'll just have to find a flavor you enjoy more :)

Di said...

Everything looks great. I'm impressed that you made the ice cream without an ice cream maker.

Lucy said...

I adore the presentation of your tartlets: they all look extremely tempting! A dessert with a story: you can't beat these simple things in life :D